While we have worked hard on reducing energy consumption and waste over the last couple of years, we still have a ways to go. There are several things we do and several ways we operate everyday so that we lessen our impact on the environment. Not only do these actions protect the environment, but they also save money - which we are then happy to pass along to our customers in savings! We would like to share a few of the steps we've taken to save money, be more energy efficient and create a more environmentally sustainable business model. While we are a business, many of the steps we have taken can also be implemented in a residential setting as well.
- We are working hard on the basic "three R's"; reduce, reuse and recycle. Our shipping department reuses the majority of the second-hand packaging we receive, providing it's in a suitable condition. This includes cardboard boxes, packing paper, air pillows and styrofoam peanuts.
- Cardboard boxes or scraps that cannot be reused are taken weekly to a local Rescue Mission where they are recycled and the money is used to fund outreach programs within the community.
- We have cut our printer paper usage in half in recent months by continuing to streamline our order fulfillment process.
- At our warehouse facility we've installed an Energy Star furnace and high efficiency air conditioning unit which have cut energy costs in half.
- Throughout our facility we have changed over to Energy Star rated T8 electronic fluorescent lighting in all of our fixtures. These ballasts use significantly less energy while providing brighter and better light!
- T8 ballasts and all other compact fluorescent lighting as well as any hazardous material (spray cans, batteries, etc.) are taken to a county recycling facility for proper disposal.
- All of the computer processors within our facility have made the Energy Star transition and have been equipped with energy efficient LCD screens.
- The vast majority of our products are water-based and non-toxic. As a rule we keep our inventory of hazardous or toxic products at a minimum.
- Our purchasing department is constantly looking for more environmentally friendly materials to provide to our customers. We hope that you will continue to be pleased with the products we offer. We know that having safe, non-toxic materials is a priority to you. If you have any recommendations or any concerns about a product, please let us know!
While all of these actions help, our next step will probably be a more efficient building with increased insulation and a site orientation that provides better opportunities for passive solar energy capture.